Wednesday, June 18, 2008

its ends tonite.

well, at least for me it does.

Lately, every where I've gone or everything I've read has something to do with the "deterioration" of Hip Hop. && in some shape or form Lil Wayne seems to either spur or become the butt of the discussion...some how.

Well, I just felt like I should set some shiit straight...not necessarily for you, more so for myself. I mean if you need some clarification and are stuck/confused as I am, feel free to read.

First, I must confess that I have always been a Lil Wayne fan[never groupie] since The Block is Hot, but I also must confess that I've found myself caught up in his recent hype. [ie. Carter 3] His gimmicks and clever lyrics only give us momentary gratitude. Never anything quite permanent...or anything useful--shiit that music is supposed to do for you!

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with talking about sex or how "great" you are or how many dead presidents your wallet is holding...blah blah...but do it well. Leave the catchy phrases till the hook[if any]...don't fill the entire song with them. Honestly, if there was so much substance in that one song...there really wouldnt be a need for all those catchy metaphors, similies, onomanapia's and shiit. I shouldn't be able to break your verses apart && have them stand alone as a bunch of fragments...there should be a story, a concrete topic. --I feel like its sort of like writing a paper[intro,thesis statement,topic sentence supporting details and conclusion] or maybe I'm being too literal...But I'm sure you get my point.

In my eyes a real MC is one who can tell a story, engage his or her audience without them ever having to experience what they've experienced. The audience/listener gets the privilege of stepping in the shoes of the MC through music. How effiecent that is, depends on the philosophy behind the music...what is the MC saying??

I'm not really sure as to whether Hip Hop is incarcerated or whatever, but I do know it has taken an ugly turn...I'm sure you too would agree, if you love && believe in real HipHop music.

Okay, I'm so over this topic && this long ass post.



Why not.



I mean this wont turn me into a Weezy Woman Hater.
But, now I really know what I'm in for when I decide to listen to 'Young Weezy Baby'...Nothing more Nothing Less.
Its arguable...but this is my opinion.

Adios.
Fran.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend says "Lil Wayne sold 1,005,545 albums.. Hip-hop is alive"..

I wanted to scream. He most likely sold those albums off his hype, not his lyrical content, I'm sure.

He is not hip-hop and is surely in no way helping to bring hip-hop back to what it once was.

f.udukwu said...

Girl,
who you telling. hah.
I mean he's a pretty clever guy...but dubbing him the Greatest Rapper Alive? Idk about that one.
Hip Hop does not need to be what it once was...it needs to grow from what it once was...no need in regressing. Growth and maturation are key. && I feel like by people adhering to rubbish(actually believing MC's like Weezy are the Greatest of our time); Hip Hop's growth is def being stunted.

Thanks for the comment hun.
;)

missgideon said...

that joint by outkast you have up is one of my favorite songs <3
and please don't get me started on lil wayne. PLEASE.

f.udukwu said...

likewise.
hahahaha...i wonder what you might have to say.